Franklin County offers attractions for singles and couples, families, history buffs, visitors of all ages and an experience that will bring you back for greater exploration next time. Everything is “nearby"... no sitting in traffic jams... with scenic country roads to take you from east to west and north to south at a comfortable pace The "Must" List
When visiting Franklin County, these attractions are a "must see."
Crumpin-Fox Club (seasonal)
Parmenter Road. Premier 18-hole golf course, open to the public. 648-9101, golfthefox.com/crumpin-fox
Kringle Candle Company
220 South Street. All white, scented candles designed to mesh with virtually any decor. 648-3077, www.kringlecandle.com
Deerfield & South Deerfield
Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory & Gardens
281 Greenfield Road. Open daily year-round except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Live butterflies and gardens, available for parties and functions. 665-2805, www.magicwings.com
Yankee Candle Village
Just north of Exit 24 from I-91 on Routes 5 & 10. Flagship store. Bavarian Christmas Village, Candle Museum and Emporium, Santa’s Toy Factory and Home Goods Store. Groups welcome. 877-636-7707. www.yankeecandle.com
Memorial Hall Museum
Memorial Street. Built in 1798, opened in 1880 as museum to preserve and display collections as “direct memorial of the inhabitants of this valley, both Indian and Puritan.” 19 exhibition rooms. Open May 1 – Oct. 31 daily 9:30 – 4:30. 774-3768 or 774-7476. www.deerfield-ma.org
Off Routes 5 & 10. Museum complex of 14 preserved 18th & 19th-century houses. Fine collection of decorative and useful objects made from 1650 to 1850. Guided tours daily 9:30 – 4:30. Meadow Walk, special events, lectures, forums. 774-5581, www.historicdeerfield.org
Greenfield Energy Park
50 Miles Street. Over an acre of green space with exhibits on sustainable energy. 1944 Caboose Museum of transportation innovations, native arboretum, demonstration gardens, public artwork, and a civic pavilion. Managed by the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA). Open dawn to dusk. 774-6051, ext. 14. facebook.com/greenfieldenergypark
Greenfield Garden Cinemas
359 Main Street. Downtown. Multi-screen film complex, open daily. 773-9260 www.gardencinemas.net
Old Greenfield Village
386 Mohawk Trail. Reconstructed village shops of 1895 and early 20th century. Open weekends, holidays and by appointment, mid-May – mid-Oct. Call for hours. Groups welcome. 774-7138
Route 63. Quinnetukut II Riverboat cruises on the Connecticut River, scenic views of The French King Gorge. Winter XC skiing, tent camping, canoes/kayak rentals at Barton Cove. 800-859-2960, facebook.com/pages/Northfield-Mountain-Recreation-and-Environmental-Center/224531920912692
North Quabbin Woods
94 acres in conservation, perfect for hiking, mountain biking, paddling, fishing, birding or animal tracking. www.northquabbinwoods.org
Featured in the book “The 100 Best Small Art Towns of America.” Home of the famous Bridge of Flowers, Artists’ studios, galleries, restaurants, bookstores and the Glacial Potholes of Salmon Falls. 625-2544 www.shelburnefalls.com
Warner Farm and Mike’s Maze (seasonal)
23 South Main Street. Open in the fall, an amazing themed cornfield maze of intricate design. Bring a team! 665-8331, www.mikesmaze.com
Great Falls Discovery Center
2 Avenue A, Interpretive museum of the Connecticut River. Natural, cultural, and industrial history. Call for hours. 863-3221, www.greatfallsdiscoverycenter.org
New England Wild Flower Society at Nasami Farm
128 North Street. 75 acres open Spring and Fall showcasing native plants and flowers, 397-9922, www.newfs.org/visit/nasami-farm
Daily except Sunday, news, sports, features, 14 Hope Street, Greenfield, 772-0261, www.recorder.com
Daily Hampshire Gazette
115 Conz Street, Northampton, 584-2840, www.gazettenet.com
115 Conz Street, Northampton, 529-2840 www.valleyadvocate.com
Shelburne Falls and West County Independent
Bi-weekly, 12 Main Street, Shelburne Falls. MA, 625-8397 facebook.com/Shelburne-Falls-West-County-Independent-310015397096/
News and weather on our local stations... Tune in!
WFCR Public Radio – 88.5 FM
WHAI – 98.3 FM
WPVQ – 95.3 FM
WRSI – 93.9 FM
WIZZ – 1520 AM
WGBY Public Television - Channel 57
WWLP - Channel 22
WGGB/WHSM - ABC40, CBS3
Franklin County Landmarks
Dwight L. Moody Birthplace
Moody Street Northfield. The home of the 19th century evangelist is open by appointment. Contact Northfield Mount Hermon School, (413) 498-3000.
Located in Shelburne Falls just off Bridge Street on Deerfield Avenue, the waterfall has three cataracts with over 50 potholes created by erosion since the last ice age over 14,000 years ago.
Hail to the Sunrise Monument
A 900-pound bronze casting erected on a 9-ton boulder as a monument to the Five Indian Nations of the Mohawk Trail. The statue depicts a Mohawk Indian looking across the Deerfield River with arms uplifted to the Great Spirit. It is located on Route 2 just west of the Indian Bridge in Charlemont.
A spectacular rock formation is located north of Stevens Swamp and north of the Old South Road to Warwick in Northfield. There is a tunnel where you can crawl about 30 feet to a 12-foot square opening with a 3-foot thick granite roof.
New England National Scenic Trail
Formerly the Metacomet and Monadnock (“M and M”) Trail, runs from Erving to the New Hampshire border.
Old Charcoal Kilns
Located in Leverett, this is the site where charcoal was produced 200 years ago. Take Route 63 to North Leverett Road, right on Old Coke Kiln Road.
Poet’s Seat Tower
Located on Rocky Mountain near the center of Greenfield. Named for Frederick Goddard Tuckerman, a little-known poet who used to sit on the mountain and write, the Tower has become the symbol for Greenfield. From Main Street, turn left onto High Street and turn right at Maple Street. At the end, bear right to the top of the hill. There is a parking area on the left and you can walk up to the Tower. Views from the top of the tower can be spectacular, especially on a clear fall day. The Pocumtuck Ridge Trail begins at Poet’s Seat.
Rattlesnake Gutter Road
Located in Leverett, Rattlesnack Gutter Road is a deep glacial ravine with scenic rock formations. From Route 63, take Montague Road to Rattlesnake Gutter Road.
Schell Memorial Bridge
Ornate historic bridge once linked both halves of Northfield across the Connecticut River and is now a popular subject for painters and photographers. Viewing from the Pauchaug Brook boat ramp or points below the bridge off Glen and Mill roads.
A huge glacial boulder on Hastings Pond Road behind the fire station at the south end of the Warwick Common.
Covered bridges have scenic appeal and are generally considered old-fashioned and similar to barns. The original purpose was twofold: it was easier to transport cattle across them without startling them, and the roof structure offered weather protection over the working part of the bridge.
A bridge built entirely out of wood, without any protective coating, may last 10 to 15 years. Builders discovered that if the bridge’s underpinnings were protected with a roof, the bridge could stand for 70, or even 80 years. The existing covered bridges have been renovated using concrete footings and steel trusses to hold additional weight and to replace the original support timbers. Some covered bridges also feature an integrated covered walkway.
60’ span built in 1951 over Mill Brook. Take Route 2 to Charlemont. Turn onto Route 8A North. The bridge is 600’ from Route. 2. The bridge has been recently restored.
Arthur A. Smith Bridge
100’ span built in 1886 over the North River. It has been restored and is open to pedestrians. Take Route 2 to Shelburne and Route 112 North to Colrain.
107’ span over the South River, built in 1870. From Greenfield, take Route 91 South to exit 25 and Route 116 North to Conway. From the center of Conway go north on 116 toward Ashfield, about one mile. The bridge is on the left, open to pedestrian traffic only.
Pumping Station Bridge
Built in 1870 and destroyed by fire in 1969. In 1972 a group of townspeople raised funds and volunteered time and materials to rebuild. It is a 95’ span over the Green River. From the rotary in Greenfield, take Route 2 West to the first light. Go right onto Colrain Road for 1.5 miles. Turn right onto Nash's Mill Road. At the road's end, take a left onto Leyden Road. A 5-minute drive will take you to Eunice Williams Drive on the left. Parking and historical marker are there at the bottom. This bridge was heavily damaged during Hurricane Irene, but re-opened in 2014.
Starting at Greenfield's west end at the I-91 Rotary, this well-traveled highway marks a 10,000 year-old-trading highway by Native Americans and early settlers transporting goods from the Albany, NY area to the Connecticut River Valley and later from the Atlantic Ocean to the Midwest.
In the 1920's, the Mohawk Trail (Route 2) was built especially as a "scenic highway." It traverses the Taconic and Berkshire Mountains which draw a steady stream of visitors especially during the gorgeous foliage season. Its twists and turns provide continual views of the odd conical hills around it and remnants from the 1950's motel and souvenir shop boom still can be seen along the trail today.